Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Images and Quotes (about Tasmanians) from "The Last of the Tasmanians"

I've continued digging through books on Tasmania, specifically those dealing with the attitude towards the aboriginals. Many of these images would work great on our wall.
 
This book has a lot of good information about the atrocities carried out on the natives. The book is very sympathetic to the Tasmanians, however, at the same time it shows the local government as being benevolent and TRYING to control it's settlers.
 
 
"We broke up their home circles. We arrested their laughing corrobory. We turned their song into weeping, and their mirth to sadness." - James Bonwick, on the atrocities committed by fellow man.
 
"They lied like beasts of the forest, in roving parties, without arts of any kind, sleeping in summer like dogs, under the hollow sides of trees…" - Captain James Cook
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I really like this. I don't know if it will seriously contribute to the actual Worlds Fair idea, but I like the last quote and I still think we can contribute pictures to show how colonial people viewed the aboriginals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It fits within the whole colonization framework as a whole. Is the idea still to have colonization on the left, unilineal theory in the middle, and world's fair on the left?

    I'm going to try and throw a design together, using what we have already, and adding pictures and text that I've collected so far. I'll try and post what I've got later on tonight.

    ReplyDelete