Saturday, March 1, 2014

Catalog - Freels Collection

On Thursday I drew my auction catalog and was thrilled to get something that looked interesting, guns. Joe, who was sitting behind me, ended up getting the Freels Collection, a series of deaccession carousel mounts from the American Carousel Museum. We happily swapped what we had drawn.
 
 
 
The first thing that jumps out to me is the pure beauty of the collection. The collection has items ranging over a period of years from the 1880's to 1930's. Sure it has horses, but the most interesting ones are the dogs, cats, the giraffe, and even a fish! I don't know how these are made anymore, if they're carved or if a machine makes them, but from my recollection I think they're made of fiberglass? Anyways, the pieces that still have their ORIGINAL paint are my favorite. Some of these pieces are actually haunting, but in a good way.
The descriptions of the items are nice and to the point. It includes information such as the dimensions, the year of manufacture, expected price, condition, and my favorite, where it was last operated. Below are a few examples from the catalog.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Perhaps it was because of the subject matter of this catalog, but the items in it reminded me a lot about Disneyland. One of the things I find so special about that park is the living history of it. You experience shows that generations have experienced before you. Objects can represent memories and emotions, and in the case of theme parks, that often ends up being joy and happiness. When I look at the pieces in the Frees Collection, not only do I see beautifully crafted antique art, but I see shades of the aforementioned joy and happiness associated with them. Yet, at the same time, I can't help but feel a little sad. Most of the children who rode these animals in their childhood have completed their lives and passed away. I think it's safe to say this reflected in the mounts themselves. The beasts continue to wear the same expressions on their faces from happy days long sense passed.
 
Emotions are a strange thing.

1 comment:

  1. Good observations about the catalog, the art and the varied production and provenience data. That is exactly the kind of descriptive info I wanted you all to pay attention to.

    ReplyDelete