Thursday, March 20, 2014

Stuff for Our Wall

 
Since we're running out of time I'm trying to throw together as much as I can to get an idea of how this is going to turn out.
 
  • First of all, obviously this doesn't have any of our items, nor does it have photos we've already decided to use, those will fit in when we figure out what we're doing for sure.
  • We previously had the section split up into colonialism, unilineal theory, and the world's fair. My idea is just to just have the unilineal section and the museum section.
    • The unilineal section would be our SENTIMENT section. We want our audience to understand that this was the way people thought in this era. We want them to see why it was wrong and highlight some of the stuff the people went through.
    • The World's Fair section would be our SCIENCE section. World's Fairs were used to celebrate the world, and you can be sure that Tasmania used their show to showcase their growth. Geology was displayed, native flora and fauna, goods, and information about Tasmania were all on display.
  • I've neglected to add any of the artifacts to this since it's obviously just a rough display. Jessica has spoken up about taking charge of the artifacts, and I want to deal with the text.
We need to start getting this all put together. Any comments, suggestions? I know Jessica was interested in working a timeline into this.
-

2 comments:

  1. So a lot of my post with the wall has the objects to use as well as a sort of general idea for how it looks. I talked to Dr. Castaneda about the timeline since I was trying to avoid using it and she said we could just incorporate George's love for science and briefly also mention his father and grandfather into our text. I just need to try to get some of the pictures from Carrie so I can figure out which ones we want to have on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True story Reece--I think focusing thematically on the Tasmanian Int'l Exposition will eliminate the need for a timeline approach. I did suggest that you use one coffin case for flora and fauna (mocking up an exhibit of the style they'd have had) and one for material culture (again--similar period approach) and this latter case allows you to talk about how business of exploration, conquest, colonization was tied to natural history and collecting and classifying flora and fauna (and the latter included societies who were ranked in a unilinealist schema). Should be do-able; I think I see that you guys are on your way to having a good exhibit.

    ReplyDelete