Thursday, February 20, 2014

Lyrebird, lyrebird...

When I first laid eyes upon the feathers I drew in the Beardsly Collection, the first thing I noticed was the exotic beauty about them. In fact, I never would have imagined that these feathers as they appear today beloned to a real bird. Knowing these items were not fabricated from various sources makes an amazing item even more exciting to research.
 
After researching the Lyrebirds I began to feel a little silly when I found out they are apparently one of Australia's most recognizable birds. I don't consder myself anything close to an Ornithologist, but I like to believe that I know at least a little bit about the natural world. Quite frankly I found it a little embarassing when I realized how famous these birds are! Either way, the Lyrebird is found in Queensland, Victoria, and Tasmania. The tail feathers which give them their beautiful appearance are found on males of the species, who fan them out during their mating rituals. It's also interesting to note that the species' common name was derived from the Lyre, a Greek instrument.
 
On Tuesday we learned that George was most likely a teacher, and would use these items to share the natural world with the public. It brings me great satisfaction to know that over 80 years after his death, George Beardsley is still teaching people about the world.
 

 
As the Lyrebird is a denizen of Australia, I believe it is safe to say that the feathers in the collection were acquired on the island. I'd like to believe that George found these two items particularly sentimental, as he shared his adopted home with them.
 

3 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous. And he would, indeed, be very happy to know that they are going to get another "showing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Reece. When I first saw them I had no idea that they came from one bird. They are so fantastical looking! But, your photographs and research is amazing. We really should incorporate it into the exhibit. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyrebirds are lovely. I wanted to be a zoologist in another life and was--rather enviously--aware of the the species the feathers came from when I saw them on the table. What a great item! I love the second image...where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete